Subject: Re: NetBSD momentum
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/22/2004 00:35:52
On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 17:36 +0000, Andy Ball wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
>
>    DdK> I for one believe that NetBSD can stand on its own
>       > merits. It is good to have independent benchmarks,
>       > both for advocacy, and for identifying where bottle-
>       > necks are. But, in my humble opinion the general tone
>       > should not be ``NetBSD can do this better than XYZ'',
>       > but ``NetBSD can do A, B, and C''. I firmly believe
>       > our target market is rational enough to do their own
>       > evaluation*.
>
> I agree entirely, I think it's an approach that is both more
> mature, and more positive.  I think it's a better reflection
> of the NetBSD community, which I firmly believe is one of
> NetBSD's great assets.
>
> - Andy Ball

I'm not really a hardcore NetBSD user by any means. Out of all the BSDs
it is the one with which I have the least experience with, yet it is
also the one that I have the most interest in.

I don't believe in judging an OS by the people that use it. However, I
can say that I appreciate the fact that the NetBSD crew tends to be
focused on getting the job done instead of comparing itself to others. I
agree with Andy. One of the greatest things about NetBSD is that it's a
high quality OS that doesn't rely on hype. NetBSD's speed is almost
irrelevant -- it was never about getting it done fast, it was about
getting it done right. I think that's the point that NetBSD should stick
to. Yes, right now you're faster than FreeBSD, and if you bring that up
as a reason to use NetBSD what will happen when FreeBSD speeds up?

I don't know. I just don't think that NetBSD users should be harping
about speed. I think it looks much more cool if they're like, "Yea, well
we do this fast, but that doesn't really concern us too much. We're just
here to get the job done right."

Think what you may.
--
Chris Laverdure <dashevil@sympatico.ca>