Subject: Re: NetBSD momentum
To: Bruno <nc41530a@vizzavi.pt>
From: Daniel de Kok <danieldk@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/21/2004 15:01:01
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 04:19:33PM +0000, Bruno wrote:
> We all make mistakes, but our mistakes can be the opportunity others need.
> FreeBSD developers and release enginners have done a great job and will
> again in the future, but this hiccup might as well be the opportunity
> for NetBSD to be considered a respectful competitor in the i386 platform
> in terms of performance on pair with FreeBSD and Linux.

I for one believe that NetBSD can stand on its own merits. It is good
to have independent benchmarks, both for advocacy, and for identifying
where bottlenecks are. But, in my humble opinion the general tone should
not be ``NetBSD can do this better than XYZ'', but ``NetBSD can do A,
B, and C''. I firmly believe our target market is rational enough to
do their own evaluation*.

-- Daniel

* Yep, I am an optimist in this respect ;).

--
Join the "NetBSD wave that flag winter tour"!