Subject: Re: Topic suggestions related to NetBSD for a doctoral thesis?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/29/2004 05:13:18
In article <yam9829.1262.146981136@postman.arcor.de>,
Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm not sure if this is the right list for this kind of question, but here
>it is:
>
>I'm currently evaluating if I'd do a Ph.D.. So I'm looking for a topic. Any
>ideas for something NetBSD related? I see UVM is already done, so are there
>other ideas? I didn't get around to do much hacking until now, so I don't
>have a favourite area. I would consider pretty much anything.
>
>Please CC me on replies.
>
>Bye, Chris
>
>PS: Any NetBSD (or at least UNIX) related job offers for me in the area of
>Darmstadt, germany?

I don't know if there are any PhD's in there but:

- re-design our mbuf/network buffer memory handling so that it is simpler
  and can handle 0 copy tcp.
- re-design our signal handling path. It is far too complicated and will not
  be easy to accommodate MP code.
- Examine our vnode locking and vfs layer and see what needs to be changed
  for locking in layered filesystems to really work.

there's a lot more :-(

christos