Subject: Re: Solaris becoming free a good thing for *BSD?
To: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/23/2004 16:53:53
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, MLH wrote:
> I think it would be better to say that *conceptually* pkgsrc runs
> on both solaris/x86 and solaris/sparc. Certain types of packages
> build and run, but in my current/recent experience, only a small
> number of the packages we would like to maintain under solaris
> actually build under solaris8, solaris9 and solarisx86.

Of course the software itself needs to run on solaris - many a linux apps
won't, due to too many linuxisms.

>> When Solaris really comes out as open source, the pkgsrc crew needs to
>> make enough noise to attract people to use pkgsrc on Solaris.
>
> We run a sizeable solaris shop. Maintaining ancillary software
> packages from source, such as pkgsrc attempts to do, is pretty much
> non-existent for Solaris. Binary pkgs are available sometimes, but
> IMO rarely are built the way we need them built and are typically
> too far behind the version curve to be terribly useful when they
> do exist. Maintaining a list of packages that we need to by hand
> is simply impractical.

Yep, that's why there is pkgsrc. Which works fine for the few things I've
tried, on Solaris/x86.

> I think there is a tremendous 'market' potential for pkgsrc on
> solaris right now, if we could get it working.

Well, what do you think is missing? IMHO it's working quite well.

> pkgsrc could easily be the glue that binds a lot of issues together
> and possibly attract enough attention to it to be useful. Pkgsrc
> has already began to do so here and that's just with the expectation
> of what pkgsrc could do.

Yep. As I said, it just needs enough marketing.
Dunno if the pkgsrc crew will manage this, but help is definitely welcome
& appreciated! :)

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)