Subject: Re: Re-branded NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/09/2004 14:25:48
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:28:27 -0800, Marc Tooley
<netbsdmlpostno@spam.quake.ca> wrote:

> Not like I'd go to the trouble of actually doing a rebrand (better
> things to do and all that,) but all the discussion about logos and
> websites and so on has gotten me curious about something: if someone
> did want to rebrand NetBSD, would it still be able to set the
> __NetBSD__ and various other preprocessor defines in order to maintain
> compatibility? After all, a huge pile of source out there has specific
> code exceptions for NetBSD and logic based on the NetBSD environment.
>
> So I guess the question is actually, would TNF have a problem with this
> given that there's some kind of trademark they own?
>
> Or does it only count if there's a NetBSD mark and/or logo somewhere
> visible?
>
> Purely academic curiosity. :) Honest.

Hasn't this been done already, if I remember correct? I could swear
I've logged into some machine and thought to myself "Hey, this looks a
heck of a lot like NetBSD", but I didn't spend enough time to actually
decide if it was (because some of the obvious stuff had been changed
or removed). I think it was some random NAS machine or something...

Andy