Subject: Re: NetBSD web design
To: Daniel de Kok <daniel@pobox.netbsd.org>
From: Zach Crisler <zcrisler@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/08/2004 14:54:41
Concerning my previous message, everything below " * * * " was "For example...".

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:15:28 +0100, Daniel de Kok <daniel@netbsd.org> wrote:
> To give a few ideas as a follow-up to Jan's list of goals:
>
> > - easy to navigate
>
> I think the primary problem is that we have many separate short pages
> and a lot of duplication. The general consensus seems to be that we
> should integrate more information in the guide. The guide provides
> good structuring of documentation, cross referencing, etc.
>
> > - cross-browser and cross-platform friendly
> > - standards compliant
>
> We should improve our DocBook/Website stylesheets, and convert any
> non-DocBook/XML cruft that is left. Maybe we should rely a bit more
> on tidy to clean up the HTML. We did this for the guides, but there
> seemed to be some trouble with other character sets. We should go
> out and fix this ;).
>
> > - aesthetically pleasing
>
> To a certain extend, functionality and compatibility with older
> browsers are at least as important. I think salo@'s layout, though
> it can use some changes, is the best. It looks recognizable, the
> colors are well chosen, it works well with older browsers, and it is
> functional (easy to navigate, etc.).
>
> > - provide information
> > - convey professionalism
>
> I think we are quite close on these two goals.

Goals that are specific/unique to the NetBSD Project?   "Provide
information" and "convey professionalism"--again, what organization
doesn't want that kind of a site?  Where's the creativity ladies and
gents?

> As a concluding remark I'd like to say that compared with many
> other "yadah yadah" websites on the net, the NetBSD website looks
> solid and good.

Yes...compared to other "yadah yadah" websites, but should the Project
be associated as another "yadah yadah" OS?

> I'd like to urge people to think about how we
> can improve the current website in small, good steps, than to
> make too many wild ideas about changing a concept that is already
> good (just compare our website with the websites of some other
> *nixes out there).

If you begin comparing the adequacy of NetBSD.org to other *nix sites
out there, then we are in trouble.  I didn't think the "well, it's
better than that guy's" argument floated with NetBSD.  It is what it
is because of what it is, not because of what something else is not.

I am NOT asking for discussion on just how to change the presentation
of NetBSD.org or why it shouldn't be.  I am asking for discussion on
"The Foundation just adopted a new logo, the identity of NetBSD is
evolving.  Where is it going?  Where do we want it to go?  How can
NetBSD.org be utilized to help accomplish this?"  Forget everything
that is in place currently.  Think outside the box.  Get creative.
Nobody wants to output a rehash of what is there currently--what would
be the point?  Most importantly, as for now, this is for discussion's
sake.  If the results are remotely viable, then we should look at
applying them.

-Zach