Subject: Re: NetBSD web design
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel de Kok <daniel@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/08/2004 20:15:28
> planned features in future releases should also be present.  I think
> it should be focused on "converting" users of Windows and "big name"
> Linux systems, like Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, etc.

Really? I think it is worth discussing whether that is the path we
want to go as a project. One of the good points of the NetBSD project
was IMO that it was not focused on hype, and converting users.

> We also consolidate all our developer resources into one central
> location.  This means our news and events feeds are presented
> preferrably in blog format.

They are available as RSS feeds. Other than that I think news should
be carefully formatted, preferrably by both communication-exec and the
www team. It is not just something a developer can paste to netbsd.org,
it requires quality control, simultaneous posting to both the website,
and the announcement list, and providing the news to other sites.

> We also consolidate all our developer resources into one central
> location.  This means our news and events feeds are presented
> preferrably in blog format.  We discuss issues relevant to nightly
> builds, etc.  Detail roadmaps, best practices, coding standards,
> developer contacts (i.e., who's doing what), bug tracking, etc.

What's wrong with GNATS and the mailinglists? Seeing the huge volume
of e-mails, PRs and pull-ups at times it would require heavy moderation
to keep such a thing clear.

I think it is preferable to look what the project wants first, and
in my humble opinion we are on a good track. The website looks quite
solid, in contrast to many blog/*nuke engines out there on the net.

To give a few ideas as a follow-up to Jan's list of goals:

> - easy to navigate

I think the primary problem is that we have many separate short pages
and a lot of duplication. The general consensus seems to be that we
should integrate more information in the guide. The guide provides
good structuring of documentation, cross referencing, etc.

> - cross-browser and cross-platform friendly
> - standards compliant

We should improve our DocBook/Website stylesheets, and convert any
non-DocBook/XML cruft that is left. Maybe we should rely a bit more
on tidy to clean up the HTML. We did this for the guides, but there
seemed to be some trouble with other character sets. We should go
out and fix this ;).

> - aesthetically pleasing

To a certain extend, functionality and compatibility with older
browsers are at least as important. I think salo@'s layout, though
it can use some changes, is the best. It looks recognizable, the
colors are well chosen, it works well with older browsers, and it is
functional (easy to navigate, etc.).

> - provide information
> - convey professionalism

I think we are quite close on these two goals.

As a concluding remark I'd like to say that compared with many
other "yadah yadah" websites on the net, the NetBSD website looks
solid and good. I'd like to urge people to think about how we
can improve the current website in small, good steps, than to
make too many wild ideas about changing a concept that is already
good (just compare our website with the websites of some other
*nixes out there).

-- Daniel