Subject: Re: NetBSD web design
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/07/2004 17:31:40
--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Nov 4, 2004, at 7:32 PM, Zach Crisler wrote:
>=20
> >I think everyone is missing the bigger picture.  A site redesign has
> >got to be more than putting a new layout or new colors on the pages.
> >It is about making the site more easily maintainable.  It is about
> >better organizing documents.  It is about making the site more usable.
> > From an advocacy point of view, we need to discuss goals and
> >expectations.  What are we trying to achieve via NetBSD.org?
>=20
> I agree with you 100%.  Really, the Board needs to lay out some goals=20
> that the comms-exec team can then work on implementing.

I really don't think that this is necessary.  I believe the goals of the
website are more or less obvious, even if somewhat fuzzy (by nature):

On the ``what should the website do'' front:
  - provide information
  - convey professionalism

On the ``what should the website be'' front:
  - easy to navigate
  - cross-browser and cross-platform friendly
  - aesthetically pleasing
  - standards compliant

(Yes, show me a website where people do _not_ have these goals.  As I
said, obvious and fuzzy. ;-)

I for one encourage everybody who's skillfull[1] enough to think about
how to improve the current website, but on the other hand I really don't
think that an official request of or call for a redesign is a good idea.

FWIW, here's another layout or design that I like a fair bit, too:
http://www.bsdcan.org/

-Jan

[1] It's too bad, but apparently most of the developers are lacking the
skills or the interest to learn the skills in the webdesign area.

--=20
Except most of the good bits were about frogs, I remember that.
You would not believe some of the things about frogs.

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn

--OBd5C1Lgu00Gd/Tn--