Subject: NetBSD web design
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, www@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Crisler <zcrisler@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/04/2004 13:57:00
All,

I figured since it <http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~zcrisler/netbsd/> got
noticed I should introduce myself <http://zcrisler.net/about/>.   You
can read more about the design at
<http://zcrisler.net/archives/2004/11/farewell_sweet_daemon/>.

To comment on some things that have been said...

Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> there is a reason why NetBSD.org front page doesn't use CSS.  try to
> open the page in lynx, links, links -g, dillo, netscape 4.x, ...

Just because text-based browsers do not support CSS is no reason to
dismiss web standards.  Before you take sides against standards based
design perhaps you should visit <http://www.webstandards.org/> or talk
to Jeffrey Zeldman <http://zeldman.com/contact/> and the folks at A
List Apart <http://alistapart.com/>.

Peter I. Hansen wrote:
> I think the zcrisler design works just fine in links. Maybe I don't get
> every bit of information in one page, but this i about advocacy, not
> about trying stuff everything into a terminal window.

I agree.  Note Hubert's interview:

> NetBSD-PT: Which is the best next step NetBSD should take, in your opinion ?
>
> Hubert Feyrer: Going public. A lot. More!
> NetBSD is technically very good (compared to what's available today), but
> very little people know about it. Other systems brag about features that
> are a matter of course to us NetBSD users and developers, and we should
> learn to emphasize our strengths in various regions, including our fine
> packages system, pkgsrc, security, networking, portability and
> interoperability.

The design of a site, whether we want it to or not, has a lot to do
with a user's impression of the product.  Basic marketing here--users
will associate the quality of their site experience with the quality
of NetBSD (known as transference).   If the site is very aesthetically
pleasing and easy to navigate the user will be drawn in and continue
to explore.  The longer a user is at our site the more opportunity we
have to convince them that NetBSD is the solution for them.

Let me also say that my design is just an example of what can be done
to support the new logo and the identity the NetBSD Foundation wishes
to create for NetBSD.  It does not purport to be the design that
should be used, should a redesign occur.  IMHO the NetBSD foundation
should draft a list of requirements and call for designs, like they
did for the logo (perhaps they should have done this with the logo
but...)

-Zach