Subject: EuroBSDCon 2004 report
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/02/2004 14:13:39
  * EuroBSDCon 2004 report

Returning home from EuroBSDCon 2004, which took place in Karlsruhe,
Germany, I'd like to give a small report on the event so those who stayed
at home or missed any interesting event are up to date.

Many of the more than two hundred visitors of the conference were
developers of the free BSD operating systems, and there were almost twenty
NetBSD developers present, plus a number of additional NetBSD users,
friends, and groupies. Many presentations were given targetting NetBSD:

  * as a platform for binary compatibility with MacOS X
  * on handheld Desktop machines
  * as a platform for state of the art filesystem implementations
  * as a portable packages system
  * as a cross-compilation system for 3rd party software
  * a virtual unix lab for sysadmin education
  * a multithreaded programming language's run time system

Please see the conference program at http://www.eurobsdcon2004.de/ for all
the details, abstracts of the talks and full papers (soon). Unfortunately,
two interesting talks, "Fighting the Lemmings" and a talk about running
NetBSD on top of a micro kernel, were cancelled, as the speakers were ill.

We managed to grab some space near the bar to build up the NetBSD booth.
At the booth, we handed out t-shirts, books, pins, and stickers as well as
demonstrated Krister's crosscompiling of packages and various pieces of
documentation.

On the second day of the event, a fundraising campaign was started where
people had a chance to aquire devotionalia like various books, cups, or a
printed edition of The pkgsrc Guide signed by the authors and many pkgsrc
developers. We would like to thank everyone who participated in the
campaign for the funding we got this way!

As a closing point to note, there was an agreement that the next
EuroBSDCon will happen in Basel, Switzerland, in 2005. Please watch
http://www.eurobsdcon.org/ for some early announcements within the next
few weeks!

  - Hubert Feyrer
    The NetBSD Project