Subject: Re: Just saw the new logo
To: Tomasz Marciniak <tmarc@felix.fizyka.amu.edu.pl>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/01/2004 00:52:10
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Tomasz Marciniak wrote:
> Excuse me++;
>
> > Consider the logos of IBM, Coca-Cola or MacDonald's -
> > they're all blatant simple and boring to the point of being uncreative.
>
> I have some publishing and art background and I think you're missing one
> important point: logos you just mentioned are carefully designed, and
> they scale well from tiny visit cards, through screens and papers to
> large billboards. It's not ,,simplicity'' what makes them good, it's
> -nomen omen - clean design. The new NetBSD logo does not scale well,
> just look at web page footers.

They don't look bad to me.

> I'm disappointed with new logo, I believed that those months of
> waiting would bring a really *proffesional* result.

Of the people commenting on this thread - how many of you submitted
entries for consideration?

$100 US isn't much of a 'fee' for professional artists, so I'm not
surprised that no one thinks this logo ranks with 'Coke'. I would have
been shocked if it had.

I like it. When can I buy a t-shirt?

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods