Subject: Other People's Networks; internship; MeshCube
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/11/2004 14:25:43
I've just returned from Glesborg, Djursland, Denmark, where I was
learning about wireless for the developing world at the Freifunk.Net
summer convention.  I am writing to report back on some interesting
ideas and opportunities.

First, Bruno Randolf, an engineer at 4G Systems in Berlin, tells me
that he can persuade his company to donate one of its tiny MeshCubes
for a NetBSD port.  The MeshCube is a tiny MIPS-based (AMD Au1500)
computer with up to 8 MiniPCI slots, ethernet, a USB port, and a cubic
acrylic enclosure.  It costs just 200 Euro.  A developer has already
stepped up to do this port.  Yay!

Matt Westervelt of SeattleWireless.Net brought to the conference the
idea of Other People's Networks ("OPN").  He observes that many cities
have enormous density of open 802.11 access points, however, folks who
would build community networks are sparsely distributed.  His idea is
to expand the reach of a community wireless network by using strangers'
home access points as relays, connecting networkers who cannot connect
directly.  You do this by using two radios or else by taking advantage
of new 802.11 radios' (for example, Atheros) capability to associate
with more than one network.  Your node on the community wireless network
associates with a stranger's open AP, and simultaneously it associates
other nodes in the community wireless network.  When a second node
associates with the same stranger's AP, the two nodes can communicate.
Microsoft Research has already demonstrated the capability for one 802.11
NIC to join two networks with MultiNet.  The person who adds MultiNet
capability to net80211 will earn much glory.

My project may have an opportunity to host a programmer from Eastern
Europe or developing nations in Asia, Africa, or South America, to work
on aspects of a NetBSD-based solution for wireless communications in
the developing world.  The idea is that the programmer will support
users of the software in their country of origin.  Travel, food,
and lodging expenses will be paid.  I will know more details, later.
Please recommend anybody who you know.

Dave