Subject: Re: Flash for *BSD Petition
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/17/2004 10:28:55
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:05:30 -0700, Ben Collver <collver@peak.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:42:28AM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:32:39 -0700, Ben Collver <collver@peak.org> wrote:
> > > Okay, but I'd like people to develop for open standards such as SVG.
> >
> > What does that have to do with this thread?
> >
> > It's popular and it can't hurt to port it to *BSD.
>
> I wouldn't suggest that it would hurt to port it to BSD.  However, I
> was being asked to advocate a proprietary standard, and happened to
> mention a similar standard that is both open and portable.
>
> Is that inappropriate?
>
> Ben

Ahh, I don't know. What I wrote did sound a little harsh.

I always thought it was a little GPLish to mention open standards when
it wasn't part of the original conversation. BSD can go either way,
happily. It's always nice to use open standards, but then again,
compatibility with something proprietary is fine too. That's why I
prefer BSD over the "it can ONLY be good if it's open" type mentality
that exists in GPL type conversations.

Maybe that's too simplistic.

Andy