Subject: Re: A random thought.
To: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/01/2004 08:49:09
On Jul 1, 2004, at 9:35 AM, Ian Zagorskih wrote:

> ATM i already have NetBSD fine booting and working from USB Flash
> Disk. It
> eats about 4Mb of total 64Mb. There's no problem to make an
> installation
> distro for such disks. So you'r not alone thinking about NetBSD on
> solid
> state disks :)

One of the things that keeps me from using kiosk/internet-cafe machines
is the almost guarantee that there are keyloggers installed and since
ssh doesn't play well with s/key, I just stay away...

A cow-orker has a Linux bootable CD that he drags around with him for
just this purpose.  He reboots any kiosk machine off his linux CD, does
his thing, and then reboots back to windoze when he leaves.

I'm thinking there are nice portable USB CF readers available, or even
better, a USB keychain, if one could convince the host to boot off your
USB keychain.