Subject: A random thought.
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/01/2004 08:27:02
I was just noticing that the price of 256MB solid-state non-volatile
memory took anotherp plunge (down to about $50).  I was thinking about
the notion of putting a NetBSD install on one of those things.  (This is
fairly idle, since I don't really have a need for such a toy.  It'd really
be a waste of $50 for me right now.)

Then it hit me: A few years ago, a single CD-ROM had a multi-boot CD
that would install NetBSD on any of several platforms.  Maybe we are
close to a single memory card being able to boot multiple hardware
platforms and *be* a NetBSD install for each of them.

Why not?  (^&

Of course, it would fall to the respective systems to provide a means
to boot from the media and for NetBSD to have drivers for the respective
interfaces.  But it'd be a cool geek toy, and could have some real utility:
Plug your keychain (or whatever) into "any" (suitable) computer and boot
your "home" environment.  The CPU is just the host that does the work of
turning the crank.  (Alright, the limited lifespan of the media would keep
you from really doing serious work exclusively on one of these...but if the
host were network connected, or if you just use it for browsing, checking
email, or diagnostics...)

Pure, idle speculation on my part.