Subject: Re: POSIX standards: NetBSD & (IEEE && OpenGroup) relations
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/08/2004 23:43:45
=D0=92 =D1=81=D0=BE=D0=BE=D0=B1=D1=89=D0=B5=D0=BD=D0=B8=D0=B8 =D0=BE=D1=82 =
9 =D0=98=D1=8E=D0=BD=D1=8C 2004 00:14 Gilbert Fernandes =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=
=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BB(a):

> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:49:05PM +0700, Ian Zagorskih wrote:
> > I'm just curious what exactly does this statement mean ?
> > If OS vendor wants to follow POSIX standards is it required
> > to get some official permissions from Open Group or IEEE ?
>
> the first step is to get a copy of the posix publications,
> you have several of covering various things. the second
> step is to work so your programs respect the published
> interfaces and behavior. last, you have to pay to get your
> product certified as such. the problem is that certification
> is on a per product basis and it's not cheap.

So as i understand, i can freely get POSIX 1000.1 documents, for example fr=
om=20
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/toc.htm and:

1. Write my libs/headers compatible with published specs
2. Use published specs in my manual pages, maybe even directly fetching=20
complete citates or paragraphs
3. Distribute my work for example under BSD license
=2E...
99. If so needed try to pass certification process :)

Ok, let me read license agreement at www.opengroup.org .. Probably, i shoul=
d=20
do it first :)

> netbsd does try to be as close at possible to some posix
> to ease our lives as users and programmers, but there are
> contradictions inside and for some, the NetBSD team thinks
> that it's the standard itself that should be fixed rather
> than try to implement conflicting things which is rather..
> wise 8)
>
> so NetBSD is pretty close to several posix publications,
> and since it's too expensive to get it certified and
> because it's per version, it's rather a continuous work
> for consistent and clean code rather than using green bills
> to get a sticker "posix inside" :)

Just was wondering what means news like "IEEE and Open Group grant rights t=
o=20
use POSIX specs to Linux Documentation Project" or as above "...to FreeBSD=
=20
project". I havn't saw anything like "..grants rights to NetBSD project" an=
d=20
wondering what does it change if anything at all.

Or should it be read as "POSIX, Open Group and Linux/FreeBSD projects are=20
still alive and want to make some noice to flash in news" ?

// wbr