Subject: Re: Upcoming 2.0-RELEASE
To: Daniel de Kok <danieldk@pobox.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/19/2004 00:08:05
> > In my opinion the amount of progression justifies a major version bump.
> > A short summary:
> >
> > * native threads
> > * kqueue
> > * systrace
> > * UFSv2
>
> Isn't saying we support UFSv2 mostly untrue at this point? We don't support
> ACLs or any of the stuff FreeBSD's UFS2 has, as far as I've read. From what
> I've read, our UFS2 support consists of being able to have much bigger
> partitions, and that's it. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention...

No, you've not been paying attention! Since a netbsd filesystem has to
be described by a netbsd disklabel, and the disklabel only has 32 bits
for the number of sectors, ufs2/ffsv2 doesn't even allow you much
bigger partitions.

It does double the size of the inodes though.....

ffsv2 is rather pointless since it doesn't allow more than one fs block
for the per cylinder group bitmaps - which is a big restriction for
even moderate sized filesystems.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk