Subject: Re: Sharing word processor docs with windows users
To: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/27/2004 20:01:55
=F7 =D3=CF=CF=C2=DD=C5=CE=C9=C9 =CF=D4 Tuesday 27 April 2004 19:52 Peter Be=
x =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC(a):

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:45:52PM +0700, Ian Zagorskih wrote:
> > MS Windows side: MS Office/What ever you like + Adobe Acrobat Distiller
> > 5.x UNIX side: Lyx || whatever you like
> >
> > All documents exchange is done with PDF format.
> >
> > The trick is to manage people working on the same project that such thi=
ng
> > as "Document" always has its owner and maintainer. And if I'm not the
> > owner of document I assume the following unbreakable rules:
> >
> > 1. I'm not willing to deal with document in any other format except PDF.
> > Printing *Office documents is always PITA, regardless to is it MS or K =
or
> > Open or some other office.
> >
> > 2. I'm not willing to investigate/change/fix/etc original document - th=
is
> > is the document author's responsibility to maintain it and I usually ha=
ve
> > lots of own things to do.
> >
> > 3. As a result of p.1 and p.2 I'm not interested how exactly the author
> > born this PDF i'm reading now.
>
> Nice idea, but in practice this can't work.  In the end it's often the go=
al
> to produce one big ``final document'', for example a requirements
> specification for a piece of software.  If you hand in the chapters as
> different documents typeset with different programs or even using differe=
nt
> fonts within one program you'll get a big unprofessional looking mess.

Well, IMHO then the answer is just one: Tex, LaTeX, LyX & K or some other=20
professional documentation preparation system.

Don't know as others, but I hardly can imagine a successful colloborate=20
documentation project implemented using MS or K Office :) This is just a=20
different level of tools.

// wbr