Subject: Re: Sharing word processor docs with windows users
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/27/2004 14:52:34
--E13BgyNx05feLLmH

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:45:52PM +0700, Ian Zagorskih wrote:
> MS Windows side: MS Office/What ever you like + Adobe Acrobat Distiller 5=
.x
> UNIX side: Lyx || whatever you like
>=20
> All documents exchange is done with PDF format.
>=20
> The trick is to manage people working on the same project that such thing=
 as=20
> "Document" always has its owner and maintainer. And if I'm not the owner =
of=20
> document I assume the following unbreakable rules:
>=20
> 1. I'm not willing to deal with document in any other format except PDF.=
=20
> Printing *Office documents is always PITA, regardless to is it MS or K or=
=20
> Open or some other office.
>=20
> 2. I'm not willing to investigate/change/fix/etc original document - this=
 is=20
> the document author's responsibility to maintain it and I usually have lo=
ts=20
> of own things to do.
>=20
> 3. As a result of p.1 and p.2 I'm not interested how exactly the author b=
orn=20
> this PDF i'm reading now.

Nice idea, but in practice this can't work.  In the end it's often the goal
to produce one big ``final document'', for example a requirements
specification for a piece of software.  If you hand in the chapters as
different documents typeset with different programs or even using different
fonts within one program you'll get a big unprofessional looking mess.

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex