Subject: Re: new XFree86 license and BSD
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 04/14/2004 20:42:21
----- Original Message -----
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
To: "Ian Zagorskih" <ianzag@megasignal.com>
Cc: <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 7:08 PM

> "Ian Zagorskih" <ianzag@megasignal.com> writes:
> > As you know, XFree86 team has introduced a new license for their new
4.4.0
> > product branch. This change born many different talks and buzzes.
> > The question is: what NetBSD team thinks about new XFree86 license and
where
> > can i read some kind of [semi]official statement about this ?
>
> We imported 4.4.0 a long time ago, and the license is no worse than
> the one in NetBSD now for much of the code.

Good to hear. Actually, that's what i wanted to know :)

> Might I suggest, though, that you go elsewhere if you're trying to
> provoke a useless argument about the XFree license? There are plenty
> of other mailing lists where such a discussion would be appropriate,
> but NetBSD lists are not among them.

No, regardless to XFree86 status i'm not willing to move anywhere from
NetBSD or start license discussion or flame war or anything like this.
Just wanted to read/hear the final end point about this question a'la "Yes,
we agree with new XFree86 license and stay with XFree86" or vise versa.

// wbr