Subject: Re: NetBSD MD5CRK team
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 03/13/2004 11:23:04
--Apple-Mail-17--116031012

Easy, now.  With an attitude like that, one might ask why two NEC MIPS
servers, a Motorola PPC 133 box, three Alphas, an Amiga 3000, and one
Commodore PET 2000 are a valuable use of electricity...  But then you'd
be my wife.

:)

David Hopper
Director
Global Event Services, Inc.
work (425) 867-1422 x12
http://www.gesi.net/

On Mar 12, 2004, at 10:17 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Floyd Dbird <dbird@language.bin.org> writes:
>> MD5CRK is a new distributed computing project that is supposed to
>> show the weakness of md5, much like the des crack challenges back in
>> 1998 or so showed the weaknesses of DES.
>>
>> I arranged for them to produce a netbsd i386 port of the client at
>> least.
>
> Why is this a valuable use of CPUs and electricity?
>
> Cracking DES was valuable because many claimed it could not be done
> even though it was known weak. Cracking RC5 and finding MD5
> collisions seems much less useful.
>
> pm

--Apple-Mail-17--116031012

Easy, now.  With an attitude like that, one might ask why two NEC MIPS
servers, a Motorola PPC 133 box, three Alphas, an Amiga 3000, and one
Commodore PET 2000 are a valuable use of electricity...  But then
you'd be my wife.

:)

Director

Global Event Services, Inc.

work (425) 867-1422 x12

http://www.gesi.net/

</fontfamily></bold>

<excerpt>MD5CRK is a new distributed computing project that is
supposed to

show the weakness of md5, much like the des crack challenges back in

1998 or so showed the weaknesses of DES.

I arranged for them to produce a netbsd i386 port of the client at
least.

</excerpt>

Why is this a valuable use of CPUs and electricity?

Cracking DES was valuable because many claimed it could not be done

even though it was known weak. Cracking RC5 and finding MD5

collisions seems much less useful.

pm

</excerpt>
--Apple-Mail-17--116031012--