Subject: Re: Benchmark Competition for Open Source Operating Systems
To: Emre Yildirim <ey@ieee.org>
From: Tracy Di Marco White <netbsd@gendalia.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/03/2004 11:39:46
In message <28542.138.26.156.222.1075827209.squirrel@www.vsrc.uab.edu>, "Emre Y
ildirim" writes:
>Once upon a time Jan Schaumann proclaimed:
>> Why would NetBSD not run on this?
>
>It might have something to do with this:
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2001/03/28/0006.html
>
>PR:
>http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=13310
>
>I don't know if it has been fixed since, but I remember still having that prob
>lem on
>my Dell Precision last year.  The solution suggested in the first link seems t
>o work
>fine however.

There are a few Dell 2650s at work running NetBSD. Problems booting
on new install Dells are standard, but easy to fix, as noted in that
message.  I haven't gotten a Dell machine that runs recent current
that displays this problem though, not sure if it's fixed.

That PR grew since last time I looked at it.  Good thing I'm getting
some more Dells in to test on soon.

-Tracy