Subject: Re: NetBSD Logo - Daemon/Devil?
To: None <paul.harwood@bt.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/24/2004 08:24:09
--Apple-Mail-85-17485230

On Jan 24, 2004, at 8:14 AM, <paul.harwood@bt.com> wrote:

> I was just wondering what the little daemon/devil has to do with
> NetBSD? What was the reason behind using them?

The little devil character has been traditionally associated with BSD.
I believe it was John Lasseter who first drew it for the cover of the
printed BSD manuals, quite some time ago (I still have mine in a box in
the attic ... somewhere).  "The Unix daemon."  (daemon being both a
protective angel and those funny programs that detach from their
controlling terminals to perform system functions.)

--Apple-Mail-85-17485230
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-85-17485230--