Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition (updated, with corrections)
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/19/2004 01:06:45
On 18-Jan-04 kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> You know, the mascot of Duke University is a devil. I've never heard anyone
> seriously upset about this, and I think I've only once heard about anyone
> slightly upset. Duke's mascot is usually drawn with sharp points so it
> looks angry (not cute like Beastie).  Really, the "Duke Blue Devil" (yes,
> they even use the word "devil") doesn't seem to be a problem.

As is the ASU Sun Devil.  When the pope came to visit many years ago.. there
was talk of changing it.  The story I heard was that he said it didn't bother
him.

I think realistically though.. religion is probably low enough on the list of
reasons to dump the iwo-daemon it shouldn't have been mentioned.  There are
much more valid reasons for replacing the logo, even if you get rid of all the
"who will it insult next" reasons.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi