Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/17/2004 20:54:46
On 01/15/2004 08:49:23 Chris Baird

>>> How about a mermaid holding a trident?
>> At last: a female image.  Who'd have thunk.
> Possibly offensive to our non-heterosexual developers.

>I think it would be a matter of good judgement and taste to keep a
>distance from the Eric "BREASTS!" Schwartz style of mascots..

>I'd also personally score down on anything anthropomorphic/funny
>animal/furry-- too 'cute gimmicky' for a brand of what is undoubtably
>the most professonally-managed Free Unix operating system around.
>(Let alone that a large number of people find 'furries' totally
>fscking irritating.)

I agree that the animal theme is overworked. I quite liked Herb Peyerl's
suggestion of a mermaid. However I wonder if the image of Britannia
could be hacked into shape. I know this is a rather nationalist image,
but it is probably no worse than the statue of liberty.

(example image, see http://www.geocities.com/traditions_uk/british.html)

Leaving aside any objections that she is female, there are some advantages:

She holds a trident (which nicely ties in with the BSD line), the shield
could be emblazoned with 'NetBSD' and moved slightly forward so she is
seen to be reposing on a pile of hardware. The figure is normally shown fully
clothed (avoids irritating feminists). There is an option of horns (a la
vikings) on the helmet...

Just my 0.02pence.

Dave

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF               Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org