Subject: Re: potential reason for changing the logo.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/16/2004 10:44:04
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> writes:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Herb Peyerl wrote:
>> You see, I have to 'sell' the idea to higher management,
>> and your logo would be...a little too radical, too
>> rebellious I suppose, for their tastes. The browser text
>> only version would raise eyebrows about why this was used.
>
> I wonder what the problem here is:
>  [ ] the "iwo-jima" theme
>  [ ] the daemons

One problem that hasn't been mentioned so far is that we need to
distinguish ourselves, in a marketing sense, from FreeBSD. I know far
too many people who can't tell which is which. That means, among other
things, that we need our own mascot, because the wide public
perception is that Beastie is FreeBSD's.

Some years ago I had a very hard time explaining to a popular geek
news site that insisted on using Beastie as the icon for FreeBSD new
stories that he was a common BSD symbol. If they have trouble with it,
think of people who are even less well informed.

Perry