Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/15/2004 16:07:33
Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>  wrote:
 > On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:35:29AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:
 >   | (I know a professional won't even think about starting on something
 >   | like this for <$5000 so the more incentive we have, the higher
 >   | quality submissions we're likely to receive).
 >
 > What makes you think that computer scientists working on open source
 > software have a monopoly on doing work for non-financial rewards?
 >
 > Or aren't people working on open source to be considered "professionals"?

I didn't say "computer scientists" and I didn't say "open source
people are not considered professionals".

I meant, a "professional logo designer", which around these parts,
generally means a subset of the advertising profession and usually
someone who doesn't use a computer to generate artwork.

These are people who are probably not within range of our mailing
lists nor even know what a slashdot.org is.

Granted, I'm not a member of this industry but I have enough of them
as customers and have subcontracted enough of them to at least have
some idea what they do, how they work, and what they charge.

Yes, there are a lot of graphics designers who will design a logo
for you as well.  In my experience, you generally get a logo that
looks generic and dull.

No offense to anyone.

---
Real PC Serial console & remote reset - The PC Weasel! http://www.realweasel.com