Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaka Jejcic <keks@kibla.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/14/2004 16:09:54
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:39:52PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com> wrote:
>
> > But our little daemon friend is a fine character for a logo.
> >
> > What's wrong? Are we losing marketshare among christian fundamentalists?
> >
> > Using Beastie, a spirit, certainly conveys the Spirit of Open Source.
>
> Agreed.  I like the daemon.  Would be nice to include it in the new logo
> somehow.

Well there is another view of the whole thing. Too cute logos, too animalistic
logos or whatever ..  make the project look like a cartoon and realy nice to
play with, but takes instantaneously away all the seriousness a project like
NetBSD now already has. Since we are not a pupulistic version of BSD I think
we could live without a logo anyway. Personaly I find this to be a strong
statement. It is on the other hand no statement at all, but we certainly didn't
offend anyone of send any other unwanted message. And it would last ;)
But I know most people's lives would become to empty of a place without
something to identify with. While I think this is the best part of it, since
believing in logos and their supernatural powers over other logos is way
under NetBSD. So, for those who can't live without one there are two
suggestions:
1 - Keep the BSD daemon -- don't fix what isn't broken.
2 - If it is broken -- most definitely a extremely simplistic abstract logo.
    But of course here again we mess with the simbols of this and that, so
    my vote is still to no logo at all. (at least no official one)

jj