Subject: Re: printed guide
To: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/11/2003 13:34:01
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:45:48 -0800
netbsd99@sudog.com wrote:

> On Sunday 09 November 2003 13:11, Harry Waddell wrote:
>
> > Here are a few points based on my experience:
> >
> > 1. printing books in small quantities is very expensive in comparison
> > to larger runs.
>
> One-off printing is now more viable with the larger insta-presses from
> Xerox and friends which are capable of doing perfect-bound copies in
> short runs for a similar cost per-copy to the larger-run traditional
> presses.
>
> There are only a very few presses in N.A. capable of doing low-cost
> short-run printing, but they're out there. Just keep looking.

The kinko's that my friend used was actually using an insta-press. I think
the real trick is finding someone who will do the job at a more reasonable
markup. There are a few short-run color printing places that I use on
occassion, perhaps one has an insta-press in house or can send it out.
Since my company deals in "electronic publishing", we usually try to keep
the tree killing to a minimum. Otherwise, I'd probably know a source off the
top of my head.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing