Subject: Re: Benchmark NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Linux
To: Alan Post <apost@recalcitrant.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/22/2003 09:04:22
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:35:31PM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
> In article <20031021221603.GA16254@mail>, David Maxwell wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 08:01:42PM +0000, Alan Post wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, but don't get too excited:  FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux 2.6
> >> were all unstable versions.  I'll leave the Linux 2.4 flames for
> >> other people.  :)
> > You failed to note that he updated to FreeBSD-current because
> > FreeBSD stable crashed on him
> Both on the 5.X tree, which is confusingly labelled and entirely
> unstable.
> > OpenBSD current because the OpenBSD release had significant
> > performance issues.
> I thought we were discussing stability?  :)

You said "... don't get too excitied: " (about his comments that NetBSD
was the most stable) "... were all unstable versions."

I commented _why_ he decided to run unstable versions.

Mike Cheponis wrote:
> Be sure to see http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability  today, as new benchmarks
> were done on 20 Oct 2003.  Scroll down to "New Measurements".
>
> Looks like some serious things are still broken in -CURRENT.

Developers have already analyzed the work involved to improve several of
the test cases, as well as discussing how to create infrastructure to
prevent regressions.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown