Subject: how many hardware architectures supported by BSD kernels?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/18/2003 00:19:41
On another list, we're having a discussion about the best license to use
for some government. It lead to Linux kernel versus BSD kernel in that I
was told that Linux has been ported to more hardware platforms (as well as
supported by more independent developers, more commercial companies, and
big survey firms reporting about Linux's great growths and BSD doesn't
exist (according to surveys)).

I was told that if NetBSD has been ported to it then Linux is there as well.

I estimated around 55 hardware architectures (for NetBSD).

I was told that Linux has all 55 of those.

Plus 28 more PDAs (not running BSD I was told).

And 19 more single board computers :

And two wristwatches running Linux.

And mainframes running Linux, like IBM 390 and IBM ZFrame.

And eight robots, five smart cameras, four automotive telematics systems,
and 12 other miscellaneous devices supported by Linux.

(And I was told that the references are out of date and missing other new
entries.)

I've heard that BSD kernels power printers, phone switches, hardware sent
to Mars, storage devices, phones, and more.

But where can I find a list of all BSD kernel powered architectures?

If a list doesn't exist, please send me your notes and I will start
compiling it.

Also, is there a single NetBSD page that lists all the hardware for all
the ports?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/