Subject: Re: ocaml website: netbsd copycat -- plus taint?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.org>
From: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/23/2003 11:26:29
On Sunday 20 July 2003 17:06, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> The web pages are a marketing tool, and controlling your message is
> very important in that arena.
>
>          -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

Only if your interest is in making money off it in some fashion.

Otherwise what difference does it make? If another project comes along,
calls itself NetBSD, and doesn't do as good a job of giving away free
software, people won't leave NetBSD for the newcomers.

If they do a better job of giving away better software, then the
original NetBSD's time was up anyway.

*shrug*

What about "all press is good press"? And why the need to control the
marketing of NetBSD unless there's money, somewhere, at stake?

It seems to me NetBSD has acquired a certain nebulous taint in the last
year or so that I can't quite put my finger on. It's almost as though
some decisions are beginning to be made based on monetary drives,
rather than simple altruism and a desire to give away superior code to
the unwashed masses.

For example, the words "marketing tool" and "controlling your message"
gave me a very distinct chill when I read them. Have I gone temporarily
insane? Am I really the only one that's been noticing a slight shift in
attitude and behaviour? Is my paranoia getting the better of me of
late, perhaps?

Is there now a commercial interest with its finger on the pulse of
NetBSD that desires a greater degree of control over its direction and
assets?

--
no .plan