Subject: Re: SCO update: "Issues with BSD" ?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 06/18/2003 15:06:09
--rG09A39trvEtf3rB

On Monday, 16 June 2003 at 16:47:18 -0700, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> Hmmm.... SCO is certainly making life unpleasant for many.  -Mike
>
> 1. Special Feature: SCO Owns Your Computer

The content of this interview is so *stupid*.  It puts everything
we've seen so far in the shadows.

> Specifically, Sontag believes the "SCO technologies" which were
> misappropriated into AIX, IRIX, and the derivative UNIX-alikes
> (including Linux) are:
>
>     * JFS (Journalling File System).
>     * NUMA (Non Uniform Memory Access), a SGI/Stanford collaboration.
>     * RCU (Read-Copy-Update).
>     * SMP (Symmetrical Multi-Processing).

Yes, these are SCO inventions, right?

> "But what about BSD?" I asked. Sontag responded that there "could be
> issues with the [BSD] settlement agreement," adding that Berkeley
> may not have lived up to all of its commitments under the
> settlement.

For some definition of "Berkeley".

> "So you want royalties from FreeBSD as well?" I asked. Sontag
> responded that "there may or may not be issues. We believe that UNIX
> System V provided the basic building blocks for all subsequent
> computer operating systems, and that they all tend to be derived
> from UNIX System V (and therefore are claimed as SCO's intellectual
> property)."

Note what they're saying here: effectively, that BSD has incorporated
UNIX System V code.  That's not covered by the settlement of the last
suit.  It's also not true, of course; but then, I'm not sure if Sontag
knows what System V is.

I've written up an analysis of this page at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/sco-sontag-16jun2003.html.

Greg

--rG09A39trvEtf3rB

--rG09A39trvEtf3rB--