Subject: Re: SCO's actions
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/23/2003 17:39:18
--rJ8inJ6ig7iY3YX9

On Friday, 23 May 2003 at  0:19:29 -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Jim Wise said:
>
>> It's not clear what this tells us about how `important' System V is.  It
>> is clear that if we have nothing better to do in the year _2003_ than
>> rehash tired old BSD vs. SVR4 flames, we're all a bunch of pathetic old
>> farts...
>
> The question is how important will the courts think SCO SVRx is. Will they
> try to sue everybody and anybody. *BSD does not have the money to go to
> court.

BSD has already been to court and settled.

> What will all this crap do to the UNIX business in general?

If you mean UNIX(tm), probably not much.  It will harm Linux, though
it's not clear how much

> Or NetBSD in particular?

It will do NetBSD (and also FreeBSD and OpenBSD) a *lot* of good.  I
can't say I'm happy how it came to be, but I'm sure that lots of
people will look for alternatives.

Greg

--rJ8inJ6ig7iY3YX9

--rJ8inJ6ig7iY3YX9--