Subject: Re: SCO's actions
To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/22/2003 13:17:04
Greg 'groggy' Lehey said:

>I wonder how many people know this.  It's an interesting indication of
>how important UNIX System V is nowadays.

Look at it this way:

By 1992, all the big boys who were going to buy SVR4.x licenses had probably
done it. The small companies that were trying to sell SVR4 for the Intel pc
platform were already realizing that people wouldn't pay $1000-$2000 for
UNIX on a personal computer. Those who were running SVR3 on Intel were most
likely ready to wait for Linux or *BSD. XFree86 came along to offset the
horrible prices that UNIX vendors charged for X.

I would bet that no one has bought a UNIX SVRx license since around 1994.

The source that SCO/Caldera has is only useful to them. And only if they can
make money from it selling packaged operating systems. They probably have no
outside OS source customers. They eliminated the cheap one user Openserver
and Unixware packages. Unisys, which was selling Unixware on their "big iron",
seems to have gone wholesale for Windows 2000 Datacenter. They don't have much
left. Even without *BSD and Linux, the sure bet for 1-8 processor Intel boxes
would be Solaris x86.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com