Subject: Re: NetBSD poster
To: Mathew Meins <blueagent@subdimension.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/23/2003 23:35:54
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:04:56PM +1100, Mathew Meins wrote:
> Just an idea, how a daemon wearing an army helmet, surrounded in sandbags?

Eww.  How about with a key and the tagline, "I am the keymaster.  Are
you the gatekeeper?"  Err...  Nevermind.  "That's right, Your Honor,
the idea has no..."

I _still_ think that the "World Tour '96" was the best design I've
seen or heard of.  It's not militaristic.  It's not really loaded.
It's not divisive.  It alludes to the world community around NetBSD.
It just seems to work for me.

In a sense, though, many of these ideas are variations on the same
theme.  The daemon is the BSD "logo".  Dressing him up in different
clothes, sending him out on dates with Ken, etc., is just playing
around with the same basic form.

I would kind of like to move away from the daemon, just as NetBSD
has grown away from UCB.  Sure there's a lot of heritage there,
and I respect and admire that.  I think, though, that it's kind of
short-changing NetBSD to be clinging onto the daemon so hard.

Hmm...  An idea springs to mind, though.  I can't draw it, but what
if we took just the outline of the left half or so of the 4.3 daemon's
head and replaced the eye with a globe.  When I say "outline," I mean
a kind of fade from clarity on the cheek/horn (on the left) to basically
transparency by the time you get to the eye.  Hmm...  I see this working
with text "NetBSD" just to the right of the globe/eye.  Just an idea.

-allen