Subject: Re: NFS capability
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/12/2003 00:02:25
> Linux as an nfs client also seems to do bad things. In a setup I have
> with a NetApp server and a Linux client, I can update content on the
> NetApp from another client, and the Linux client will not see the
> changes for tens of seconds. (i.e. repeated 'ls' shows the state of a
> directory before the added content, long after it's added.) Linux seems
> to be making bad caching decisions.

I've seen this on other Unix systems.  It happens because NFS is
caching the directory contents, and comparing client and server
times in order to determine when the cache is out of date.

'touch <dir>' will cause the updated contents to become visible.

ntp might manage to get the clock adequately synchronosed, but I'm
sure I can find a pathological case where ntp will get it wrong.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk