Subject: Re: NetBSD now has native pthreads!
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/19/2003 14:24:35
On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:15:32PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:

 > After NetBSD supports symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) on a number of
 > systems for some time now, support for native threads was added by merging
 > the nathan_sw branch that contains a Scheduler Activations based threads
 > implementation by Nathan Williams and Jason Thorpe.

I would like to stress that the overwhelming majority of the work was
done by Nathan Williams.  The contribution I made to the effort was
tiny in comparison to that which Nathan made.  In addition, there were
several other developers who contributed to this effort, as well (Steve
Woodford, Wayne Knowles, Andrey Petrov, Valeriy Ushakov, Martin Husemann,
Paul Kranenburg, and Anders Magnussen are the ones that pop immediately
to mind, since they did architecture-specific support code for various
platforms).  Greg McGarry implemented support for Restartable Atomic
Sequences, which are used by the pthread locking implementation.  In addition,
Nick Clifton and Bill Studenmund did a tremendous amount of work finding bugs
and contributing fixes.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more people...

The point is, it is hardly fair to these other people to mention my name
and not theirs.  And the Scheduler Activations project really is Nathan's
baby, so I also think it is unfair to Nathan to mention my name so prominently
in this document.