Subject: Re: suggestions for NetBSD stickers?
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/16/2003 14:55:43
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:54:01 -0800
"Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net> wrote:

> I've recently taken to decorating the rollbar on my Miata with
> small bumperstickers.  I've got the fabulous "Free the Mouse"
> sticker from bumperactive.com, along with a few band and college
> radio stickers.  I'd really like to have a NetBSD sticker.

> In any case, I'm planning to order 250 4.25" x 1.38" stickers
> for $20 from:
>
> 	http://www.stickerguy.com/
>
> I want something small and simple, in black and white, with
> just the name "NetBSD".  A bigger sticker wouldn't fit well onto
> my rollbar.  I'm not adverse to including the daemon, but in black
> and white on such a small sticker, it doesn't seem like a big win.
> I went ahead and made up something using the GIMP:
>
> 	http://www.patheticgeek.net/~kml/netbsd.jpg
>
> This is not particularly sophisticated;  I'd kinda prefer to
> have a typerwriter-style font with the characteristic flecks
> missing from the letters, as if it was printed on an old line
> printer.  OTOH, this is close enough that I'm ready to do it.
>
> If somebody can do something (relatively quickly) that looks better,
> I'm certainly open to that.  The requirements for the file are:
> Corel Draw (v9.0 and below), Photoshop, Illustrator (v8.0 and below),
> or TIFF / EPS / JPEG (300-600 DPI!).  See the stickerguy web page
> for more details.  I apologize in advance if "looks better" is
> entirely my subjective opinion -- dissenters are encouraged to
> put up their own $20. :-)

I understand what you want, and it should be easy enough to get done. Besides,
it will give us an excuse to eat sushi. :-) Back before wasabi existed, john
hardman and I explored some promotion ideas for netbsd. Somewhere in my
project files are a some ideas for netbsd bumper-stickers, cd covers,
etc... which may or may not interest you.

> In the interest of actually getting this done, I'll probably
> make my order by Monday.  If I wait any longer, I'll just put
> it off forever.

I have set up my G3 mac again because that's where all the cool fonts live. If
someone else can do it faster, that's fine, but I can get it done by some time
next week. If your motivation starts to flag, I do have a pair of steel-toed
boots that can be applied to that problem. ( don't worry everyone, I'm only
overtly hostile to my good friends)

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing