Subject: Re: Ottawa: Open Source Weekend
To: Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/16/2003 01:28:11
On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:42:55PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2002 at 10:54, David Maxwell wrote:

> > > Here's the plan so far: http://www.langille.org/osw-demo.php
> > >
> > > Anyone willing to loan a NetBSD box for the demo?
> >
> > Certainly.
> >
> > In your diagram, the NetBSD box looks like a NeXT. ;-)
> >
> > I have those, but an Ultrasparc or other modern, non-Intel system
> > might be more interesting. Any preferences?
>
> We're getting closer now.  Do you have a candidate box yet?

I'm out of town until tomorrow night, so I haven't been focused on this.
It is my number one priority when I get back.

I'm hoping I may have a (at least partially) working NetBSD kernel on a
Zaurus, for one thing.

I suppose a quad CPU sparc10 wouldn't be a bad thing (with sparc MP
recently 'completed').

It's probably worth me bringing a Shark (DNARD), due to cool
form-factor, fanless, and the original Oracle project which intended to
use NetBSD.

Similarly, we could show a NetWinder running NetBSD. Recognizable for
the Ottawa crowd...

Another option would be some Compact-PCI boards (Ultrasparc and/or x86)
for the industrial computing inclined.

Yet another possibility are some MIPS32 evaluation boards I'll be
working on next week.

While I'm there, I'll have my x86 laptop too - always good to show off
the stability of NetBSD hot-swap, cardbus and USB support.

Care to set a space limit? ;-)

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods