Subject: Re: daemonnews.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Gregory Sutter <gsutter@daemonnews.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 01/03/2003 17:34:56
--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50

On 2003-01-03 16:27 -0700, Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:
> For those who didn't know about this:
>=20
> http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200301/netbsdhelp.html
> http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/03/01/03/1651227.shtml?tid=3D122^C
>=20
> Now it would be nice if Daemonnews would pay more attention to=20
> what banner ads they were putting on stuff... My 'give them the
> benefit of the doubt' side of me says they didn't intentionally
> put an OpenBSD banner ad on the bottom of a NetBSD article.

The ad banners are displayed in a weighted random manner by an ad
serving program.  While I was proofing the article, I saw the NetBSD
"All Your Platform" ad on the page, which was just as funny as ever.
(In fact, I put that particular banner into the rotation simply
because even to this day I start giggling whenever I see the "How Are
You Gentlemen" come up.)  I am sorry for the insensitivity of our ad
server for displaying an OpenBSD advertisement alongside the NetBSD
article.  As you know we provide, gratis, banners linking to all the
BSD projects.  Each BSD's banners have an equal percentage chance of
being shown, and that's the one that happened to pop up in your case.

You owe the Oracle some Achillea millefolium.

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                       mailto:gsutter@daemonnews.org
Cheap Technologist                      http://daemonnews.org/