Subject: Re: How to convert this OpenBSD guy to The Truth and The Light?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/12/2002 14:45:27
Mike Cheponis wrote:

>I do think that predictable releases are not a NetBSD strong point.  For
>example, when can I count on 1.7 coming out, or even 2.0 ?  Who knows?

Sure, but you can count on 1.6.1 coming out in a few months.  The
major releases are generally feature driven, not time driven.  In
my opinion, this is a good thing.  You don't want to cut a release
when you are half-way through integrating a major change such as
swapping out the VM system or enabling SMP.  You don't even want
to cut a release until the code in question has baked for a number
of months, and it is difficult to tell in advance when it'll be
done.  OpenBSD has less of these problems.

Minor releases are for bug fixes, new drivers, small features.  If
you look at the release dates (reorganised slightly from the
webpage):

NetBSD  Date		OpenBSD
------	----		-------
1.4	May 12, 1999
1.4.1	Aug 26, 1999
	Dec  1, 1999	2.6
1.4.2	Mar 19, 2000
	Jun 15, 2000	2.7
1.4.3	Nov 25, 2000
	Dec  1, 2000	2.8
1.5	Dec  6, 2000
	Jun  1, 2001	2.9
1.5.1	Jul 11, 2001
1.5.2	Sep 13, 2001
	Dec  1, 2001	3.0
	Jul  1, 2002	3.1
1.5.3	Jul 22, 2002
	Nov  1, 2002	3.2
1.6	Sep 14, 2002

I don't think that is all that bad.  In fact, I don't think that
is bad at all.  Our release cycle is driven not by dates, but by
facts on the ground and I think that this is an important and
beneficial distinction.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/