Subject: Re: How to convert this OpenBSD guy to The Truth and The Light?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/12/2002 10:18:04
Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com> wrote:

> However, OpenBSD is still very strong in the networking area. For example,
> it has a firewall package (PF - packet filter) which is 3x better than
> anything else that you can find for NetBSD, FreeBSD or Linux.

How did he meauser the '3x better'?  Does he have benchmarks?  Do we?
Or is it just a matter of personal prefernce (ie what you're used to
dealing with)?

> Also, OpenBSD release engineering cycle is much better than NetBSD one.
> There is an OpenBSD release every 6 month, in December and June. Each
> release is of high quality, so it's very easy to plan your upgrades,

So he only upgrades when there is an official new release -- and if
there is, he upgrades regardless of the changes?  NetBSD maintains their
releases with great care, and all relevant security-patches and
bug-fixes are pulled up, so that a regular rebuild of what's necessary
fixes this 'problem' easily.

> On the other end, OpenBSD is not very strong outside networking tasks and
> basic internet services like www, ftp, bind: There is no recent JVM
> available for OpenBSD, no Oracle port,

There is no recent (native) JVM for NetBSD either, nor is there a native
Oracle port.  However, they both run under Linux-Emulation (I think, not
sure about oracle).

> and using OpenBSD as a workstation is a disaster.

Using NetBSD as a workstaion is a pleasure.

-Jan

--
"When it's fall in New York, the air smells as if someone's been frying
goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe the best plan is to open a