Subject: Re: GPS mapping for netbsd.
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/03/2002 15:03:10
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>  wrote:
 > My plans were to squeeze this data onto a 40 MB IDE disk in the
 > Frontpath Progear I recently got NetBSD squeezed onto, and to hook a
 > GPS in via a USB dongle.  I have generated a few maps on the Progear,
 > and while it's a little slow, it's not TOO bad.  I'd not want to run
 > it on batteries very long, but the intent is to have a car computer
 > anyway, so it won't be long between chargers.

Well, I have a 12 channel parallel receiver that's about 3 times the
size of my Jornada. I'm gonna bolt it into the roll-cage of my truck
and plug my jornada into one of it's serial ports (it has 2, one that
can be used for differential input).  Then I want to be able to map
my current position onto a topo map that I've got for the area that
I'm planning to go to offroad.