Subject: manure, fresh
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/21/2002 18:47:17
I need some help finding that site that had a list of big sites
running any flavor of BSD. I have already debunked the bunk you
see below. I can't believe this guy writes code for IBM. He's "helping"
a mutual friend with his (our) startup. The more links you all can
send, the better.

------------------------ snip --------------------------------------

Matt and All,
We really need to discuss our strategic direction.  We cannot afford to
spend anymore time debating the appropriate operating system platform=20
for this application.

I believe that a Linux platform is the better choice for the application ba=
sed on it's much broader acceptability and industry recognition.  To my kno=
wledge, IBM, Oracle, BEA, and other companies have not released their indus=
trial strength applications to run on the NetBSD platform.  They have done =
so for Linux.  Company after company have announced their adoption of Linux=
 and view it as a viable open source alternative to both Sun's Solaris and =
Microsoft Windows.  I have not heard such statements about NetBSD.  Linux c=
an run on machines ranging from the lowest spec PC to the IBM 390 Mainframe=
, and maybe the same can be said about NetBSD.  However, it seems to me tha=
t NetBSD today is where Linux was a few years ago.  Like Linux, maybe there=
 are a few hardcore proponents of NetBSD who believe it is a magnificent pr=
oduct that will fix many of the problems other OS'es posess (and they are p=
robably right).   Like Linux, maybe there is no easy way to install the pro=
duct without downloading source code and compiling your own kernel, and you=
 have to fiddle or write with your own device drivers (hopefully NetBSD has=
 learned from linux's mistakes and do not have these problems).  Like Linux=
 ,maybe it's difficult to find commercial applications that will run native=
ly on NetBSD, meaning applications that are valuable enough to cost real mo=
ney and not just programs written on someone's spare time that they give aw=
ay for free.  The bottom line is that Linux was the David trying to fight t=
he Goliath of Windows.  It has now earned the respect of many large compani=
es as well as mainstream developers (not just a few college geeks as in the=
 early days).  Linux is now an upcoming Goliath doing serious damage to Win=
dows as well as the Sun Unix monopoly.  I believe this is the right time fo=
r us to hitch our future onto the Linux bandwagon and rise with it's succes=
s and advancements.  I do not get the same sense of momentum or acceptance =
from NetBSD.  We cannot paint ourself into a box (e.g. choosing CP/M over M=
S-DOS because of a few neat features, or chosing OS/2 over Win32 because of=
 multi-processing support) when we are developing the infrastructure for a =
major development effort.

We need to discuss these issues in real time so we can formulate a=20
strategy
and move forward.
--=20
Matthew Herzog