Subject: Re: Marketing NetBSD - TODO
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Silke Mueller <silke@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 11/21/2002 17:21:08
On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:40:41PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> There were some talks about "marketing" in NetBSD before and at the
> EuroBSDCon in Amsterdam, and this is in reply to a enquiry I got, so
> I'll try to sum things up here about my thoughts.
>
> For the NetBSD Project, I see a few long term and a few short term
> goals to go for.

To reach all these goals, I believe there has to be someone who is
coordinating all marketing efforts and get things done.
First would be to get experience reports from all, who have done this
before, so the wheel won't have to be invented again and again. Then
a collection of NetBSD art, who would like to help with what (people,
who could draw or design or whatever) etc.

>  - Rework our logo. The Daemon is nice and I'd say it should stick,
>    but the logo we use right now is both a bit old and a bit too
>    complex from a design view. Some new arrangement WRT the daemon
>    might be nice. I'd not say to go away from the daemon for now.

The daemon could be modified. How about adding wings to symbolize
performance or a fast way to get from one port to another or a
clear structure?
That could either be leathery and spiny daemon wings (serious) or
fluffy angel wings (funny).

In Amsterdam I saw a pub advertising "Love all, serve all" and I
believe that slogan could be well adopted by NetBSD.

[long list of worthy goals deleted]

> There are many things that can be done. The key is, something must be
> done, and we need is volunteers to do the actual work. One doesn't
> need to be a skilled programmer or network guru to help in getting
> NetBSD better known, everyone (and their wife and kids :-) can help us
> out here!

I think, I just volunteered ;-)
And probably for more than I bargained for ...

Gruss
    Silke

p.s.: For everybody wondering who I am: my name is Silke Mueller and
      I keep Tron from spending ALL of his spare time developing NetBSD ;-)