Subject: Using NetBSD to save Windows files
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/30/2002 13:31:45
Just wanted to share my little experience...

My friend's work Compaq Presario 700 laptop was having a bunch of Windows
XP errors where it would continually reboot. The MSKB article says to
reinstall using the Windows XP recovery CD.

The hardware was also continually cooking hot so my friend was planning to
return it to the store.

I used my NetBSD/i386 1.5.3 livecd and it booted fine.

The rtk0 network interface was detected. I manually configured it.

Then used:

 mbrlabel
 mount -r -t ntfs /dev/wd0e /mnt

And then scp'd the *.doc files and the Documents\ and\ Settings
directories to a different system.

(I wonder ... maybe I could have replaced the registry with a backup
copy and fixed that Windows XP problem.)

It was nice to be able to quickly use NetBSD to save numerous important
work files from the Windows system.

Also, I used kword to successfully open a few of the .doc files to make
sure they were okay.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/