Subject: Re: It's dead Jim
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 08/20/2002 15:01:19
On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 09:22:23PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
  | Hubert Feyrer said:
  |
  | > * IBM sold >= 20.000 NCs running NetBSD on PowerPC and i386.
  |
  | The kernel for the Network Appliance NFS boxes came from NetBSD.

No it didn't; Data OnTAP was mostly written in-house, although the
networking stack is (4.4)BSD based.

The "locore" stuff for the Alpha based filers did come from NetBSD,
which is what the copyright statements in the OnTAP manuals refers
to.  Given that NetApp have gone back to using x86 CPUs in their
boxes, it's unlikely that much of the NetBSD code in OnTAP is used
anymore.

Luke.

(PS: this information is based on knowledge I learnt in public forums,
before the short time that I worked for NetApp a couple of years ago.)