Subject: Re: Re. your post to netbsd-advocacy
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: sudog <sudog@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/18/2002 09:07:32
> I like Jan Grant's: "Do what thou wilt"
> :-)

I'm just killing myself laughing over here. B-]

Far more than any half-formed and modified link to Iwo Jima, "Do what thou
wilt" can be an extremely offensive term. At least it should be to anyone who
isn't into making actual (laughable, but actual) attempts at summoning
demons, ritualized and stylized animal sacrifice, and eating Elixir of Life
pills whose chief ingredient was Aleister Crowley's semen.

I don't know about you man, but when I put my software under a license, I sure
don't want to conjure up images of unmarked semen pills in my more educated
users.

Ha ha.. "Good for what ails ye!"  ;-)

> I don't have any idea who the participants are, and it doesn't matter.
> Famous folk shouldn't be treated differently from anybody else, I don't
> think they're "worth more".  I felt I was responding in kind with a
> flippent answer to a flippent post which derided my concerns.  So I was, in
> turn, flippent and condesending while making my point.  It's clear that we
> can't all take this in fun, much as I would like to.  So...

On the contrary. I'm deriving immense amusement from this thread.

I don't think the point was that Perry was famous and thus should be treated
differently. I think the point was that someone who writes as much as he does
is likely to be in a better position to judge license issues that relate to
his own software than you or I. :-)

-sudog