Subject: Re: Software License Sound Bites, Version 0.1
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Karl O . Pinc <kop@meme.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/18/2002 01:35:57
On 2002.07.18 00:06 Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Karl O . Pinc wrote:
>
> > Sorry I don't have time to do as you ask.  Instead, read the new BSD
> > license.

<snip>

> > Then ask yourself why everybody bothers to use it.
>
> Well, we BSD folks use it because that's the license on the old code,
> and we can't change that because we don't own the copyright on it.

It occurs to me this is not a good reason for continuing to use the
BSD license.  Any code that you write today you can place in the
public domain and the code can then be incorporated into any
piece of software, including the existing BSD code base.  So,
how come you're not using the simplest possible license, no licence?

Karl <kop@meme.com>